Kelmscott village is famouse for Kelmscott Manor. This is a Tudor manor house which was the home of William Morris, founder of the Arts and Crafts movement.
Kelmscott is famous as the summer home of the writer, designer and socialist William Morris (born:1834, died:1896). Kelmscott Manor is a grade 1 listed Tudor farmhouse adjacent to the River Thames that dates from 1570. Morris rented Kelmscott Manor as a summer home from 1871. The house now contains an outstanding collection of the work and possessions of Morris.
Morris and his wife Jane and children Jenny and May are all buried in the grounds of St. George's Church, Kelmscott.
In the village there are cottages designed by Webb and Gimson, and the Morris Memorial Hall (also designed by Gimson).
But Kelmscott is not only about William Morris. There is a wealth of history here that dates back to Roman times, as the following PDF documents will testify: